To All of our Friends from The Terrible Winter

I am supposed to be taking a nap right now.  But I can't.  There is something I have to say.

I have been mining my Facebook records for fun Katie quotes.  That is the only place I have recorded them, and I want to get them saved somewhere else before FB decides I don't need them anymore.  There are many, and they are hilarious and heartwarming, and I will share them once I get them compiled.  But while looking, I came across the story of January-March, 2011.  The worst time of my life.

But that isn't what I need to tell you.

I read all of the posts, and all of the comments, mine and yours, from the time Sarah first got sick until the memorial service.  I have laughed and cried a lot this afternoon.  This one entry sort of sums it all up:

February 11, 2011
Feels like I'm riding down a raging river--nowhere to pull out; just have to ride with it until it's over--on a lifeboat made of friends: Their prayers, love, hope, and acts of service. Love to you all. We're going to get through this.

But that isn't what I need to tell you, either.

I don't quite know how to say how I feel about that analogy now, a year and a half later, now that the river has long since become nice and calm again.  But there is something I have to say.  So here goes:

In less than a week, if all goes as planned, Sarah and I are going to finish a sprint triathlon together.  Saturday, starting around 7:30 a.m.  And we're going to do it for God, for ourselves, for David and Katie, and for all of you.

Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you.  Thank you.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

His Name is David...

Same-Sex Marriage: A Few Thoughts from an American Christian

A Ruined Painting

Aut Pax Aut Bellum