A Badgerling, a Bow, and a Perforated Milk Jug

Well, gentle reader, this corona virus/toilet paper apocalypse thing is getting to me a bit.  The night before last I was feeling pretty anxious about the state of the world.  I'm not usually a big worrier; I generally try to focus on the stuff I can do and refuse to think much about the rest.  But I have to admit recent events have been getting me down.  So, I was up a lot during the night.  I spent a lot of time praying, singing, trying to get my head on straight.

Yesterday was a busy day.  Did a lot of school work in the morning.  I'm a teacher, and yeah, we're all having to re-learn how to reach kids in this new and hopefully temporary reality.  After lunch Katie (my 10 year old daughter) and I went for a long walk.  We saw new baby lambs, friendly people out cycling, a few drivers that waved and smiled at us.  We walked down the road a couple miles to North Fork creek, where we skipped rocks, soaked up sun (it being the absolutely tropical temperature of 51F), and watched a guy not catch fish.

When we got back, Katie wanted to get out the bows.  Now, my daughter has always loved the idea of archery more than the actual work.  It isn't something I push on her, and more often then not she opts out when I ask if she wants to join me.  Part of this might be her equipment.  She has one of those semi-worthless fiberglass kiddie bows, about 10# draw weight.  It's really too small for her, but the next bow up is a 35# recurve, which is a little too heavy for her.  This past Sunday I told her that if she shot every day for a week, maybe I'd let her try the recurve again.

Well, we got back from this long, long walk, pretty tuckered out.  We decided to rest our feet for a half hour or so, then go out and shoot.  So, we snuggled up on the couch, me with the Traditional Bowyers' Bible 1 (I'm planning on starting my first home-made bow next week), she with some fairy story.  Then out to the yard.  She figured out on Sunday how to string her own bow, so when I walked out the door with Jubal, my hunting bow, she was all ready to go.

We had an empty milk jug handy, so we decided to forego the regular archery range and go out to the back pasture, where we proceeded to whack the living daylights out of that poor jug.   Katie, having shot an unprecedented two days in a row, was really zipping out the arrows from her toy bow.  She was taking shots anywhere from five to 20 yards, much further than she normally tries.  There were squeals of delight every time one of her arrows whacked into that jug.  (If you've never shot at an empty milk jug, give it a try--the sound they make is most satisfying)  There were giggles at every near-miss, and expressions of admiration at my every hit.

It was magical.  Our tired feet were forgotten.  We had planned on just shooting a quick dozen arrows or so before making supper.  We ended up staying out for almost an hour, and it was me, not her, who finally said, "We've gotta quit and go inside."  As we came in, we were talking about upgrade bows, maybe a 20# hickory longbow, maybe a bamboo-backed little recurve, dyed purple of course.  :)  Maybe after I find out if I'm still going to have a job, sweetie.

About the time I had the chicken tacos going on the stove, Mrs. Badger came home, having ventured into town for the first time since the crud hit the fan.  Katie was excited to show her mom the perforated milk jug.  We had a good supper, then a game of Risk.  The outcome of that game is still in question--I'm not at all sure whether I'll be able to hold onto Asia--but I'm feeling pretty good about my family and my community.

I guess there's no huge point to all this.  Love your loved ones.  Do what you can.  Be grateful for whatever you can be grateful for.  Make the kids in your life laugh, however and whenever you can.  Share experiences.  Get upset when you have to get upset, but don't let yourself live there.  Trust God with the stuff you can't control, which, even in the best of times, is most of the stuff.  I really think it's gonna be OK.

Comments

  1. Good to hear from you Tom. No bows, but Allen and I found ourselves doing target practice with pistols last weekend. I will have no use for this skill short of a zombie infestation, because there's nothing else I'm going to fire at, but I'm glad to know that--should it come to such a thing--we can put you and Katie on the front line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Em! I've been wondering what became of you. Somehow I bailed on FB without ever getting your contact info.

      Yes, by all means put us on the front lines...but only if zombies make a satisfying ker-whack sound when you smack 'em.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

His Name is David...

Same-Sex Marriage: A Few Thoughts from an American Christian

A Ruined Painting

Aut Pax Aut Bellum